Wednesday, November 24, 2021

Bruised

 

Bruised is the Halle Berry directed and starring story of a former professional MMA fighter who has fallen from grace. When her son, that she gave up as an infant, comes back into her life, she has to figure out how to pick herself back up for both of them.


I thought that the plot was original and though a bit slow moving and predicable at certain points, was interesting and realistic.

The soundtrack was perfect for this film; it was just as raw and gritty as the movie. I also liked that they meticulously choose all female rappers for the score.

The script was well written, full of great life lessons, but I would have liked a bit deeper character development for the entire cast.

The fight commentary was pretty corny but I thought that the fight choreography was well researched and rehearsed. Halle did a great job looking like a MMA fighter and I enjoyed the cameo from UFC Women's Flyweight Champion, Bullet Valentina, although I was confused as to why they made her character Hispanic. They should have changed the script so that she could represent her own country, Kyrgyzstan. Also after hearing that Cat Zingano was the original choice, I would have preferred that.

I remember a few years ago when this movie was shown at the Toronto International Film Festival (TIFF). It sold out so fast I wasn’t able to catch it, but I have been eagerly awaiting this release ever since. I can now say the wait was worth it. This movie was a heartfelt, near tear-jerker and in my opinion was one of Halle Berry's best performances to date.

No comments:

Post a Comment