Monday, January 24, 2022

The Harder They Fall

The Harder They Fall is a revenge western about a man is looking to avenge the murder of his parents. The film stars Jonathan Majors, Idris Elba, Zazie Beetz, Regina King, Delroy Lindo and Lakeith Stanfield.

The plot was interesting and engaging. There was a descent twist at the end, that was a bit foreseeable with the buildup, but still entertaining.

The acting was pretty good. I liked seeing the range that Regina King and Idris Elba gave in the more villainous type of roles. Zazie Beetz was a unique casting for me but I liked seeing her as a character that was off brand for her. The lead, Jonathan Majors, was unknown to me but I thought that he did well as the captain of this ship.

The director, Jeymes Samuel, had said that the soundtrack was very important and was incorporated during the script writing process. It was heavily influenced by reggae and spirituals. I thought it was an odd selection and wasn't a huge fan of the song choices, they felt too far off from the stereotypical musical genre for a western.

For me, The Harder They Fall, was a proper straight to video type of movie. One that you don’t have to pay super close attention to understand and enjoy. Although this isn’t one I’d watch again, it was worth the watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment