Saturday, July 27, 2019

UglyDolls


UglyDolls is an animated film that follows Moxy, a free-spirited doll, that doesn’t conform to the beliefs that she is not pretty enough or perfect enough for the love of a child. Throughout her story she and her UglyDoll friends have to confront those who don’t appreciate their differences and have to find ways to encourage others to embrace their uniqueness.

I found the movie to be surprisingly star studded. It was a borderline musical with all of the catchy numbers. I was glad that they picked a lot of popular singers to do the voices. Kelly Clarkson was the lead voice of Moxy, Pitbull, Ice-T, Blake Shelton, Wanda Sykes, Janelle Monáe and Nick Jonas were all also a part of the cast.

The animation was visually appealing, the story was engaging and the plot was relatable. Where I think that the movie lost me was that it was too focused on the negativity of the plot. You almost wonder how this could be a child friendly movie at times. The run time was 87 minutes but it took until about 60 minutes in to finally see the more positive themes in this underdog tale.

With that being said, I thought that the movie meant well but I don’t really think that this was able to strongly showcase the themes that they were trying to highlight. I think that it could be easy for kids to misinterpret the purpose of the movie, thus this is not one that I would recommend for kids and not worth checking out for adults.

No comments:

Post a Comment