Monday, August 5, 2019

The Spy Who Dumped Me


The Spy Who Dumped Me is an action-comedy starring Justin Theroux, Mila Kunis, Kate McKinnon and Outlander’s Sam Heughan. After Audrey, played by Kunis, discovers her ex-boyfriend is a spy, she and her best friend Morgan, played by McKinnon, unwillingly become entangled in an international operation. 

The entire cast did well, though it would have been nice to see some diversity among the group. I liked seeing Heughan outside of Outlander and showing some range within his skillset. The script was quite amusing with McKinnon taking the lead. She was much funnier in this than Ghostbusters. The plot was engaging with a couple of good twists but the major pieces were pretty predictable from the beginning. It also wasn’t very realistic but it was still enjoyable. I also appreciated that this movie had two strong female leads at the helm that didn’t rely on men. I thought that visually the movie did well with the variety of sets and the action sequences.

I purposely skipped seeing this one in theatres and I’m glad I did. I found it to be much more enjoyable as an at home movie. In saving my money on this one I was able to take the movie for what it was without the pretenses and what I saw was that it wasn’t great but it wasn’t terrible. Just good enough to enjoy at home, on a random holiday Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment