Friday, January 22, 2021

The Princess and the Frog

 

The Princess and the Frog is the story of Tiana, a hard working waitress, saving up for her own restaurant, with no time for love or fun, who is unwitting trapped in a curse after kissing a frog. 

Set in 1912 New Orleans, the movie is full of culture, music and style. I liked the themes around growth, maturity & looking within to find your true purpose in life. However the plot of trying to find a short cut to your goals and in turn being tricked into a cursed situation, is completely played out at this point. Another Freaky Friday vibe mixed with a touch of the demons from Patrick Swayze's 1990 Ghost.   

The first time I watched the movie I wasn’t a fan, because I felt mislead by the title. The protagonist isn’t a princess. In fact over the course of the hour and 40 minute film, Tiana is not even human for 60% of the movie, and it's not until the last 5 minutes that the title even makes any sense. With Tiana being the first Black Disney Princess I had higher hopes and expectations, so that was always a disappointment for me and one that made this film not as great as it could have been. Thankfully there will be a sequel in 2022 so I look forward to see how Disney can improve and expand on this unique journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment