Saturday, April 17, 2021

Sorry To Bother You

 

Sorry To Bother You is a dark comedy set in alternate present-day version of Oakland, California. It follows Cassius "Cash" Green, a young telemarketer, who changes his voice to successfully move up the ranks at his job, only to discover that his company is not what it seems.

This was a well brought together cast of talented actors. I thought that Lakeith Stanfield did a nice job in the lead and that he and Tessa Thompson played well off of each other. I also enjoyed the additions of Omari Hardwick, who gave me a very interesting character and something different than anything that he has portrayed in the past. Terry Crews was his typical self but he did add a bit of comedy to the movie along with Danny Glover who was a pleasant surprise in his role. Armie Hammer, on the other hand, didn’t give me a lot of range from what I’ve seen of his past performances but he did enough to bring the glamorous CEO, with an unorthodox vision for his company, to life. My only other critique here is that I would have liked a bit more character development for the cast. 

The themes around greed, capitalism and code switching were great and extremely relevant. The script however, wasn’t very funny to me and some of the twists got unnecessarily weird. The movie ended up turning into a strange fantasy film that I was not prepared for. I was left feeling like I was presented with a really cool idea but was delivered a terrible script and execution. I wasn’t a fan, at all, of where the director chose to take the plot and therefore would not recommend this movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment