Sunday, December 12, 2021

Red Notice

Red Notice is a Netflix distributed action comedy starring Dwayne Johnson, Ryan Reynolds and Gal Gadot. The film was written, directed, and produced by frequent Johnson collaborator, Rawson Marshall Thurber. In the film Johnson is a FBI agent, out of his jurisdiction, hunting down the #1 and #2 art thieves in the world, who are in search of three bejeweled eggs gifted to Cleopatra around 41 BC.
I liked the change in sets throughout the globe and the costume design was sleek and sophisticated which worked well for the theme. I also thought that the fight choreography was crisp and well executed.
The script was easy to follow and fun. There were quite a few plot twists and turns that I didn’t see coming, which I appreciated. The character personalities definitely played toward the type casts of Johnson, Reynolds and Gadot. Johnson was yet again the cop, Reynolds was the comedy relief and Gadot was the sexy tough one.
Even though the typecasting didn't leave much room for any of these actors to stretch in their dramatics, I still liked how they played off of each another. They are three bankable stars who never outshined one other but instead lifted each other up. I also appreciated the diversity in the rest of the casting. I liked that there were a couple of strong female characters that lead each of their respective groups. My only criticism would be that I would have liked a little bit of a deeper dive on the character development. Especially for Gadot’s character, The Bishop, who was pretty one dimensional.
Overall the movie was okay. This is the kind of movie that is that is worth seeing once and then done. It's one of those types of movies that isn't really thought provoking; it's one that you could multitask to while it's playing in the background as it won't require your full attention. Unfortunately there are talks of a sequel or possibly a trilogy. At this point I'm not excited about that but if this does get green lit I hope that they can make some improvements.

No comments:

Post a Comment