Tuesday, March 8, 2022

Marry Me

Marry Me is a romantic comedy starring Jennifer Lopez, Maluma and Owen Wilson. On the night of her high profile wedding/concert, in front of her fans, pop star, Kat Valdez, played by Lopez, is distraught by the release of the her fiancĂ©’s cheating scandal. In an act of defiance and impulsivity, Kat picks a stranger in the crowd, played by Wilson, and marries him in front of everyone. Now that the ink is dry, this unlikely pair must decide if this spontaneous coupling can spark true love or fizzle in front of the world.


I thought that the plot was not entirely realistic but still cute with a unique concept. The script was well written and funny but still a well within the predictable rom-com formula.

Jennifer Lopez is the queen of the romantic comedy. Her choosing this role seemed a bit ironic given her past relationships, but I was there for the self-deprecation. She was once again the star of this show bringing her likeability factor full force. Her hair, makeup and costumes were always beautiful and spot on for the role. She and Wilson had great chemistry. They both at this point have been typecast but I still liked what they presented. Lopez, as the always the down on her luck, hard working, affable one looking for love and Wilson the slightly quirky, nice guy next door.

I liked the diversity of the rest of the casting as well. Chloe Coleman is fairly new to the scene but I’ve liked her since she was in My Spy with Dave Bautista. At her young age, I'm actually impressed with her ability to deliver such a compelling story. She's probably one of the better actors in this film. I also enjoyed watching Sarah Silverman. Any fellow typecast actor who played the funny sidekick. I could have, however, used a lot less Jimmy Fallon in the movie. This version of himself was more rude than funny. I kind of wish they would have mixed up the hosts a bit more and used different people throughout the movie.

Another critique I had was for the music selections during the film. There was maybe only one good original song in the entire movie and unfortunately that version didn't even make it to the post-movie soundtrack.

Overall the movie okay. It won’t go down as my favorite Jennifer Lopez rom-com but it was still enjoyable to watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment