Saturday, April 23, 2022

Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore

 

Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore is the third installment within the Wizarding World franchise. Picking up after Fantastic Beasts: Crimes of Grindelwald, Newt Scamander has been tasked by Professor Albus Dumbledore to put together a team to try to take down Grindelwald; whose power of persuasion is rising.


I don’t understand why critics didn’t like this movie. I really enjoyed it. I thought that plot moved well; it was a great mix of action and storytelling. And the themes around corruption in politics and how divisive language can seep in the minds of others was so relevant, even today. It also helped to answer a lot of questions from the first two movies.

As always, these Fantastic Beasts movies are great at casting for diversity. I liked that they brought back William Nadylam who played Yusuf Kama. They expanded on his role and gave him a bit more context so that you could understand his drive even more. I also enjoyed the addition of Jessica Williams who played a wizard professor named Eulalie "Lally" Hicks. She was probably one of my favorite characters. She was smart, witty and resourceful. Even though I would have preferred Johnny Depp to have reprised his role as Gellert Grindelwald, Mads Mikkelsen did a great job filling his shoes. He also had really strong chemistry with Jude Law who once again took up the mantel as Professor Dumbledore. I’ve always had a soft spot in my heart for Eddie Redmayne’s Newt Scamander. He plays him so well. There is a kindness and an eccentricity to him. You always want to root for him. He really comes into his own on this one, stepping up to do what is right. I also liked his dynamic with his brother, Theseus Scamander, played by Callum Turner. They are such different characters but know each other's strengths so well and respect one another for it. 

I came out of this movie so filled with joy. I was excited for this one, and look forward to watching it again. It also made me excited for potentially another one. Although it had not been confirmed I hope that they continue this story as there is still so much to be uncovered in this fun, action packed joy ride. 

No comments:

Post a Comment