Thursday, September 22, 2022

Easter Sunday

Easter Sunday is a comedy starring Jo Koy as Joe Valencia, a struggling actor and standup comedian, who begrudgingly sets off, with his son, to see his family during Easter Sunday.

The plot was engaging but a bit extreme at times. The script wasn't as funny as I hoped it would be, however there were a few jokes intertwined that did make me chuckle. I really enjoyed the themes around staying true to yourself, the importance of family and setting petty differences aside to come together. 

The casting was refreshing. I really appreciated seeing so many different Filipino actors represented. Some of which I had seen in other projects so it was great to see them again. This was the first time I’d seen Joy Koy in a lead role. I thought he did a pretty good job but for me it was the women that really stole the show. Lydia Gaston as his mother Susan and Tia Carrere as his aunt, Tita Teresa, were the stars for me. I loved their dynamic. It was so relatable and they played really well off of one another.

Overall this was a beautiful depiction of Filipino-American culture and shows, once again, how important it is to have diverse perspectives in film. It also showed, in some ways, how alike we all really are. 

No comments:

Post a Comment