Thursday, February 9, 2023

Somebody I Used To Know

 

Somebody I Used To Know is a romantic comedy starring Alison Brie as Ally, a workaholic who has to take an unexpected leave from her job. With the time off she returns to her hometown where she runs into her ex Sean, played by Jay Ellis. The reunion causes her to question if she made the right decisions in her career.


What appeared to be a typical rom-com plot, ended up being so much better than originally anticipated. The writing was clever and there were great themes around not being afraid to be your true self, finding and holding on to what you are passionate about and knowing when to let go.

The character development was strong and the acting from the entire cast was impressive. I also appreciated the diversity in casting. I’ve become a big fan of Franco’s wife Alison Brie, who was also a co-writer, of this film. She played a similar character to her role in the TV show GLOW. A complicated person, who even with her faults was still likeable and someone you wanted to root for. I thought she had a good amount of range and had great chemistry with Jay Ellis and Kiersey Clemons. It was nice seeing Kiersey stretch a bit more outside of the TV show Easy. She was youthful, confident, free spirited and independent. Overall, I liked how the women were able to take center stage in this movie.

I wasn’t sure how a Dave Franco co-written and directed film would turn out but I came away rather impressed. Somebody I Used To Know had just the right amount of comedic timing, while not being too raunchy. It was also full of heartfelt moments and plot twists to keep you on your toes throughout.

No comments:

Post a Comment