Saturday, December 22, 2018

Aquaman



Aquaman is the origin story for, Arthur Curry, the title character, played by Jason Momoa. It follows him as he comes to terms with his lineage and the decision to either get involved in an upcoming underwater war or not, with his half-brother.

I thought that it was high action, full of heart and a touch of funny. Some of the fight scenes looked like a video game but overall looked pretty realistic for what it was. It was visually stunning, reminding me of Avatar with its bright colors and hues of blue.

The plot was interesting and had a couple of good twists so it wasn’t as predictable as I thought it would be. It had great themes about family, humility and embracing your destiny.

The acting from the entire cast was pretty good. Specifically, Momoa was able to successfully carry the load of this role. He makes for a really great super hero. He physically fit the part and was able to successfully make this character into something more than a punch line.

I liked that the cast was diverse and full of talent. Unfortunately, the character development could have used some work for the supporting cast. They were fairly one dimensional while they focused so heavily on the main character.

Toward the beginning, the soundtrack was very Tron, which was cool. Then later in the movie the soundtrack turned really poppy and didn’t really fit the scene or the overall theme, which I found odd.

You could tell early on that the director was trying to go for a more family-friendly style movie. At times the script was really cheesy. There were also some repetitive shots, which I think were used to add more drama to a scene, but in the end came off really corny and overkill.

What I came to at the end of this movie was that it’s hard to live up to the competing Marvel franchise. The DC movies will always be a notch or so below the quality of most Marvel films. There were some critics saying that this movie could save the DC franchise but I don’t think that this was it. By no means was the movie terrible, I actually that it was a well-made, you just have to come in with certain realistic expectations with this franchise. Once you wrap your head around that, I think that people will still find this movie enjoyable, therefore I would still recommend for all. I don’t think that most would see it again but it would be something that I would be happy to see again.

No comments:

Post a Comment