Saturday, December 1, 2018

Blindspotting


Blindspotting is a socially conscious drama based in present day Oakland, California. It stars Black-ish actor Daveed Diggs, as Collin, a young man, just released from prison who is trying to live a straight laced life while on probation. One night, while heading home, he witnesses an act of violence that will change the course of his life and his friendships.

The backdrop of this movie was an homage to the city of Oakland. I thought the director, Carlos López Estrada, did a great job bringing that to life with the cinematography, the sets and the soundtrack, which were all very authentically Oakland.

This movie showcased a lot of underlying themes about the effects of gentrification and racism. In that, I thought it was provocative and honest. There were also parts that were funny which helped to lighten up the mood a bit.

There were only a couple of pieces that I thought this movie could have improved upon. One was the character development. There were a lot of one dimensional characters that I would have liked to see expanded upon. Even Collins friendship with Miles, played by Rafael Casal, lacked some validity because there wasn’t enough of a backdrop to really let the viewers know how their friendship evolved. Additionally, the script was a bit odd. I wasn’t quite prepared, when it turned into a hip-hop musical, but once I wrapped my mind around its purpose, I thought that the lyricism was quite poignant and very hyphy.

In the end, I think that this movie was well made and did a great job of tapping into the viewers emotions through its intensity. It is relevant to the current social climate, and is the type of eye opening film that should be shown more often and seen by all.      


No comments:

Post a Comment