Sunday, September 1, 2019

Dave Chappelle: Sticks & Stones (TV Special)


Dave Chappelle: Sticks & Stones is Dave Chappelle’s newest Netflix stand up special. He covers a variety of topics from Michael Jackson, R Kelly, the LGBTQ community, some of his time on the Chappelle show, the current climate of cancel culture and a number of other topics. 

For anyone who has ever seen his other standups or the Chappelle show, you will know that Dave Chappelle is more cutting edge than some of the other famous comedians out here right now. Before I watched I knew he was in hot water because of the Michael Jackson jokes, so before I saw it, I was on edge about what he was going to say. After hearing the jokes all the way though, I didn’t think it was a bad as some people felt. It may have been in bad taste but that is Chappelle’s style. I actually thought that his LGBTQ jokes could have been perceived as more offensive but no one was talking about those.

Just like with any of his previous standups, I found the majority of the set to be very funny, with only a few that did hit with me. For the most part I find his jokes to be very clever and his storytelling to be engaging, keeping you in for the hilarious punch at the end. Although I didn’t think it was necessary, I also liked his humility when he said, "if you’re in a group that I made fun of, then just know that I probably only make fun of you because I see myself in you."

In the end, I thought that this standup was pretty good. Not his best within the last few years but definitely up there. For those that are not super sensitive and can roll with the punches, this could be the one for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment