Tuesday, December 17, 2019

Elf


Elf is a story of a man raised as an elf, working in Santa’s Workshop, in the North Pole. After he discovers that he is human, he decides to travel to New York City to locate his biological father. 

The movie came out in 2003 but visually holds up. I thought that the plot was easy to follow and wrapped up nicely in the end. I liked the themes surrounding taking a chance and stepping outside your comfort zone, having positivity through all of the negativity around you and the importance of spending time with loved ones.

I was surprised to see Game of Thrones, Peter Dinklage, in this movie. His role was prior to his well known character, Tyrion Lannister, and a major step away from that iconic role. In regard to the acting from the rest of the cast, I think that everyone, for the most part, was subdued and very one dimensional. Perhaps that was because they couldn’t be out shown by Will Farrell. His character, Buddy, was extremely extroverted, easily excitable, childlike and full of positivity. I know the juxtaposition of his age and height compared to his behavior was supposed to be funny but it just made me uncomfortable. Farrell’s portrayal was so over top that I couldn’t relate and I didn’t find it funny.

I thought that the plot wasn’t very realistic and that script was corny. I imagine this movie plays better for kids than adults. With that being said, I know this is a classic Christmas movie that some watch religiously, this time of year, but in the end it wasn’t for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment