Saturday, December 7, 2019

Hustlers

Hustlers is a drama based on the true story of four strippers who flipped the game on its head by swindling large sums of money from shady Wall Street men in the early 2000s. Inspired by the New York Magazine article that went viral, this movie stars Jennifer Lopez and Constance Wu.

I thought that the plot was interesting especially since it was based off of real life events. With a female director it did give this movie a different, more female driven, possibly more tasteful perspective, than if it were directed by someone else. There were also a couple of comedic moments that helped to break up the monotony.

The character development was good enough to where you actually wanted to side with the criminals at certain points and could understand their individual struggles. Additionally, the acting was pretty good all around. I thought that Lopez did a great job committing to the character and it was refreshing seeing both her and Wu in these unconventional roles. I liked how all of the women were resourceful, smart and driven. I also enjoyed the cameos from famous musicians like G-Easy, Usher, Lizzo and Cardi B.

This movie has received a lot of Oscar buzz and even though I thought that the movie was good I didn’t think it was Oscar worthy. There was something missing for me to fully jump on to that bandwagon. To me this movie would be okay to watch at home but not worth spending time and money at the theatre.

No comments:

Post a Comment