Tuesday, July 21, 2020

Jumanji: The Next Level


Jumanji: The Next Level is the sequel to 2017's Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle and the second follow-up to the original 1995 Jumanji. It reunites the characters from the previous film and picks up a few years after the events in Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle with Spencer, "Fridge", Martha, and Bethany planning a reunion, while all leading different lives, some better than others. 

I thought that the plot was fun with some unpredictable twists on the characters for this version. The themes of broken friendships and repairing them before it’s too late and themes of finding confidence in yourself while getting older were all relatable and prevalent throughout.

I thought that the cast was star studded and entertaining. I’m not a huge Kevin Heart fan but he was hilarious in this movie and did great staying in character. Awkwafina, Rory McCann, Danny DeVito and Danny Glover were also fun and unexpected additions to the cast. I had an issue with The Rock trying to adopt a New York Italian accent, which was terrible, and Jack Black with the Black accent, which felt a little Tropic Thunder to me, but I know why they had to do it, so I had to push past it.

Overall I thought that this movie did a good job of keeping my attention throughout, even though it was a bit corny, it was a descent sequel.

No comments:

Post a Comment