Wednesday, July 1, 2020

The King of Staten Island


The King of Staten Island is a comedic drama that is starring and loosely based on Pete Davidson’s life. Davidson plays Scott, a twenty something young man who has never really grown up or applied himself to anything since the death of his firefighter father. After a stream of events forces him to grapple with his grief he must decide to if he will take his first steps toward adulthood. 

I am a fan of the director, Judd Apatow. He has made some hilarious films in the past but this one is a different, it more serious tone than his previous works and the comedy is a lot darker. The themes around depression, drug use and grief were prominent throughout and were important to bring up during these though times.

I thought that the plot was interesting and unpredictable. The script however was a bit on the weak side and not as funny as I would have hoped which caused the movie to drag. About an hour and a half in, I was looking to see how much time was left in the movie. The runtime could have been cut down significantly.

The acting was okay; Davidson was just being himself and not really diving deep into a character but since he was supposed to play himself to a certain point, I didn’t find it to be too much of a problem in this movie.

The story was slow moving and didn’t give me any real closure. The conclusion was open ended, leaving us to make a choice on where it goes from there, which can work in some films, but I wasn’t a huge fan of it for this particular one. In the end, I just felt like the movie was just okay; not one I would seek out to watch again.

No comments:

Post a Comment