Monday, August 24, 2020

Jane Eyre

 

Jane Eyre is the 2011 gothic, romantic drama adapted from the Charlotte Brontë novel of the same title. Jane is an independent, smart and hardworking woman who has lived a tough and lonely life. When she is hired as a governess to a hardened, aristocratic employer, Edward Fairfax Rochester, with a mysterious past, she begins to soften his the heart only to discover secrets that may ruin their happy ending before it could ever begin.

The movie stars Mia Wasikowska, Michael Fassbender, Judi Dench and Jamie Bell. Mia, as Jane, and Michael, as Mr. Rochester, brought a strong chemistry and intensity to the screen that draws you in almost instantly. The entire cast did well in their roles with descent character development for Jane and Mr. Rochester. I would have liked a more in depth backstory for Dench’s character, Mrs. Fairfax, and Bell’s character, St. John Rivers.

The cinematography is full of beautiful untouched landscapes, the script was well written, and the plot gave me dark, Cinderella-esq vibes. And although it was slow moving and a bit predicable there were parts that were surprising.

This movie is one of many adaptations of this story. Being someone who didn't read the book, I don't want to be the one to judge how well they brought the novel to life, but what I will say is that I wish I would have read it first to fill in some of the gaps in the film. And with that being said, even though Jane Eyre was missing some details for me, I still thought it was entertaining and worth checking out once.

No comments:

Post a Comment