Sunday, August 7, 2022

Anything's Possible

 

Anything’s Possible is an Amazon Prime produced romantic drama directed by Billy Porter, starring Eva Reign and Abubakr Ali. This coming of age story follows Kelsa, an openly trans young woman, as she navigates her senior year of high school filled with complicated friendships and love.

The plot was filled with themes around being your authentic self and not letting others determine your happiness.

I appreciated the modern costumes and casting diversity. I liked seeing a more uncommon, unique love match in Kelsa, played by Eva Reign and Khal, played by Abubakr Ali. The character development was strong and I thought they both did a great job playing off one another. Eva Reign played a very confident and likeable character in Kelsa and Abubakr’s Khal was more shy but also very kind and talented. I liked that his character was a Muslim, I just wish the writers would have done a deeper dive on his culture vs just emphasizing what a nice guy he was. My only other critique was that I wasn't a fan that the "villains" were both Black.

Overall, I enjoyed seeing a story that is not as common in Hollywood. Stories like this that shine a positive light on the trans experience are so important and needed. For me Billy Porter's directorial debut was a hit and one I would definitely recommend.

No comments:

Post a Comment