Monday, August 1, 2022

The Gray Man

The Gray Man is a Russo brothers directed, Netflix action film starring Ryan Gosling as a CIA agent who is being hunted by his own organization after he uncovers damaging agency secrets.


The plot is based on Mark Greaney’s 2009 novel of the same name. The Russo brothers are known for their Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) movies, so I was hoping, since they were involved in the screenplay and directing of this film, that The Gray Man would be another great piece of cinema. Unfortunately this was nowhere near the quality of a MCU film. The script was corny and predictable. It was full of cheesy one liners that were supposed to be funny but they weren't.

I did appreciate the creative fight choreography and action sequences. I also liked the cast diversity. Ana de Armas who played Dani Miranda was the star of this movie to me. In this more character driven role, she had an opportunity to not only do the physical fight choreography but to also show her emotional range as an actor. It was nice seeing RegĂ©-Jean Page in a role outside of Bridgerton. Unfortunately his role as Carmichael was a bit over acted.  I also wasn't impressed with Chris Evans and Ryan Gosling. Evans, who played Lloyd Hansen, is not a villain. Even with his tacky mustache and deep cutting lines, his delivery was still too wholesome. And Ryan Gosling is the same in everything to me. I liked seeing him in an action role but he's still pretty one dimensional. His trademark dry humor was also boring and played out for me.

Regrettably the action sequences couldn't save this movie for me. The Gray Man was a disappointment and not one that I would watch again.

No comments:

Post a Comment