Friday, March 23, 2018

Clouds of Silas Maria


Clouds of Silas Maria was promoted as an aging actress coming to terms with how painful it is to no longer be in the limelight.

I thought that the plot line was misleading. I don’t think that at any time throughout that film did the main character, Maria Enders, played by Juliette Binoche ever truly stop being desired by directors or that she herself ever have an issue with not being as famous as she once was. I thought though, that, Juliette’s portrayal of Maria was well done. Her story was still interesting, she was able to deliver the scrip with real passion, bringing to light the struggles that Maria had with change and the evolution of her career, through great range of feeling and emotion.

The film also stars Kristen Stewart who won the César Award for Best Supporting Actress, which is the equivalent of an Oscar. I didn’t think that her performance was that noteworthy, she brought the exact same range that she brings in every film. Additionally, she didn’t speak any French, which confused me as to why she would receive this award.

The editing was amateur at best. The landscapes were highly focused on throughout the movie. I thought that they were vast and beautiful. The issue I had with them though was that the same ones were repeated over and over, I understood the emphasis and its importance but I felt like it was a bit overkill. It was almost as if the movie was more National Geographic than drama. Additionally, there were a couple of scenes where you could tell they took multiple takes and didn’t properly blend the shots together. It was messy.

In the end the film is left to the viewer’s interpretation. Although I thought that the idea of this movie was interesting, it was too slow moving and left me wanting more. I'd say skip this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment