Sunday, March 11, 2018

Miracle at St Anna

Miracle at St. Anna is a fictional World War 2 drama set in German occupied Italy in 1944. The story follows four Buffalo Soldiers who are separated from their company after a German attack. 

I thought that the story was interesting. There aren’t many movies about the Buffalo Soldiers of WWII so I appreciated being able to see that on screen. Although mostly fiction there were some elements of truth.

The filming was different from the majority of Spike Lee’s other movies, which I liked. There weren’t any weird camera angles or floating people, just traditional cinematography.

I appreciated the diversity and the large amount of minority actors in this film. The leads were Derek Luke as 2nd Staff Sergeant Aubrey Stamps, Michael Ealy as Sergeant Bishop Cummings, Laz Alonso as Corporal Hector Negron and Omar Benson Miller as Private First Class Sam Train. I thought that they all did a great job of portraying their unique character qualities and acting off one another. Additionally, John Leguizamo and Kerry Washington made some pretty great cameos.

There was this theme of fantasy and faith which I thought was a bit much but for the most part there wasn’t really anything to dislike about this movie. My only concern was that I just wasn’t really moved by it; I felt like something was missing, I couldn’t fully connect to these characters, so for that I would say this might be worth it to see once, just to have an appreciation for the history, but it’s not going to be one that you would want to see over and over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment