Sunday, February 3, 2019

A Star Is Born


A Star Is Born is the 3rd remake of the 1937 original. It stars Bradley Cooper, in his directorial debut, and Lady Gaga in her first feature film. Cooper plays Jack, a famous country singer-songwriter who is struggling with addiction and Gaga plays Ally, a singer-songwriter who hasn’t been given a shot until she meets Jack, by chance, at a bar. 

I thought that the editing was powerful. Not only during the on stage performances, but also the subtleties that were added though out, really make a strong impact on the movie. Additionally, the script was well written and the original soundtrack was really good. It was more diverse than I had anticipated. And even though I’m not a huge fan of country music, I still enjoyed those particular tracks.

The acting for me was by far the most impressive. Cooper and Gaga had amazing chemistry, they were both complicated and flawed. He the controlling, aggressive, functioning addict. And she the more reserved, insecure singer who evolves into a independent, strong-willed, star. I thought that Cooper did a really great job in this role. He brought the struggles, pain and tragedy to Jack. He also had a very impressive singing voice. Gaga for me though, stole the show. In her first movie, she did a fabulous job. In a lot of interviews she talks about how she wanted to portray something different than her real-life, on stage persona and I think she captured that with Ally. I also think that she does deserve all of the accolades that she is currently receiving.

I had some problems with the plot, it felt like, especially in the beginning, it romanticized an unhealthy relationship. The characters had a very fast romance, which in normal circumstances I would not have an issue with, but with this film I was able to pick up pretty easily how Jack was kind-of stalker-ish. However, in this romantic bubble the director tries to make it seem okay how he aggressively peruses Ally. I think if there was some more context and time spent in the earlier moments between the two of them, it wouldn’t have felt as uncomfortable. As the movie went on though, and you see how their relationship evolves, and it did feel more authentic.

Overall, I thought that the movie was full of passion and emotion. It addresses so many real issues of today including addiction, abuse and suicide. It also shows what perseverance though those hurdles looks like. It’s one that, in the end, really pulls at those heart strings, so get your tissues ready. This is a good one.

No comments:

Post a Comment