Thursday, April 2, 2020

Spenser Confidential


Spenser Confidential is an action comedy starring Mark Wahlberg, Winston Duke, Alan Arkin and comedian Iliza Shlesinger. After two Boston police officers are murdered, ex-cop Spenser, played by Wahlberg, can’t let it go; believing that there is something shady afoot. He takes it upon himself to investigate what is going on, with the help of his roommate, Hawk.

I thought that the plot had a ton of predictability throughout and was a typical Wahlberg movie, it was basically The Other Guys, meets Mile 22 mixed with The Departed. I was fine with it though, since I was in the mood for something that was not very thought provoking and more along the lines of something you could half watch and veg out to.

The acting from the cast was very entertaining. Everyone played well off of each other. Newcomer Iliza Shlesinger played Cissy Davis. One of the only females present in this movie and she was hilarious. She held her own and to me stole the show. Another actor that I enjoyed watching was Winston Duke who played Hawk, a young man, looking to turn his life around as an amateur mixed martial artist. He was funny with his subtle comedic timing, and although his acting could use a bit of work, overall I enjoyed his performance. Wahlberg’s role was a photo copy of his past roles but still fun to watch. My only critiques in the casting were that there was too much of a boy’s club vibe; I would have liked to see more major female characters and the bad guys were stereotyped pretty heavily. I would have also appreciated more character development.

Even though there were some things I didn't like, all in all I thought that the movie was easy to follow, action packed and very funny. This is one that I would recommend checking out if you are looking for something fun that isn't going to require a lot of brain power.

No comments:

Post a Comment