Monday, August 23, 2021

Snake Eyes

 

Snake Eyes is a GI Joe origin story starting Henry Golding as the titular character, a young man who has dedicated his entire life to avenging his father's death.


I liked that this wasn’t a typical GI Joe movie. I was worried it would turn into the disgrace that was 2009’s G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra, but thankfully they gave us something better. The plot, which incredibly predictable, was still very engaging. It had heart and relevant themes around family and loyalty.

There was also great fight choreography that was quite creative at times, with well-done cinematography. They did a great job of showcasing some beautiful sets and vast Japanese landscapes. I also liked the traditional costumes.

Regarding the casting, I thought that Henry Golding was a superb choice. He is a leading man and brought range to the role. I also thought it was great that there were no damsels in destress. All of the women cast were strong leading ladies that could handle their own. 

My only critique is that this was set in Japan but there was only a sprinkle of Japanese used. I would have liked the script to have had more authenticity in that aspect.

Overall though, this was a pretty good movie. It is one that is definitely worth checking out and I'm looking forward to the upcoming sequel.

No comments:

Post a Comment