Sunday, April 7, 2019

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse


Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse is the Oscar & Golden Globe winner for Best Animated Feature Film. It’s the origin story for Miles Morales, a Black teenager who becomes Spider-Man. Along the way of coming into his own, he crosses paths with five more Spider super heroes from other dimensions. Together they must stop a threat that will impact all of their realities.

The plot was a bit predictable but entertaining. I liked the twist on having a minority Spider-Man and the diversity among the cast of animated characters.

I enjoyed the modern hip-hop soundtrack and thought it was appropriate for the era and location, which was New York.

Even though I liked the movie, I thought that it was a bit too long. The cinematography was good for the most part, but sometimes during the scenes where the “The Super-Collider” is being used to access parallel universes, the colors are just so bright and it’s not super clear what is going on. Additionally, I thought that there were too many extra “Spider” super heroes. Some of them were pretty corny. I think they could have done with just 2 extra instead of 5. For someone who never read the comics I thought it was a bit overwhelming. That also lea to a lack in character development, for some of the co-characters. I'm hoping they can make up for it however, in the squeal.

In the end I found this movie to be a cute, family friendly film with a strong moral compass. One that shares some great values and can be enjoyed by all.

No comments:

Post a Comment