Sunday, April 7, 2019

The Mule

The Mule is the Clint Eastwood directed drama, loosely based on the biography of a World War II veteran who became a drug mule for the Sinaloa Cartel in his 80s. Clint Eastwood plays the lead role, Earl Stone (based on the real Leo Sharp).

I thought that the plot was interesting. Once I found out that the script was based on a true story, I read the original article about Leo Sharp and found it to be so crazy that I wanted to see how this movie would play everything out.

I also wanted to see this movie because it had some positive responses from critics for Eastwood’s acting. I however came out of the movie, thinking his performance was nowhere near Oscar noteworthy, just okay. I was not completely convinced by his portrayal nor did I ever feel truly connected to any of the other characters, as they all came off pretty one dimensional. As a side note, something that has bothered me about Eastwood, especially within the last 5-10 years, is that he always plays someone a little bit racist, which he was able to effortlessly weave into this character as well.

The movie was almost two hours long and an hour in I was wondering when it would wrap up. I found the film to be slow moving with parts that felt disjointed. It was dry and boring. I also didn't like how they ended the movie. They didn't talk about where the real Leo is now, nor anything about his family. In the end, I’m glad I didn’t waste my money on this movie. For those interested in this story, I would recommend just reading the New York Post article, which ends up being much more interesting than this movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment