Friday, May 17, 2019

Bachelorette


Bachelorette is a dark comedy that came out in 2012, starring Kirsten Dunst, Rebel Wilson, Mean Girls’, Lizzy Caplan and Isla Fisher. When Regan, played by Dunst, finds out that her high school friend, Becky, played by Wilson, is getting married to a handsome, wealthy man, she gets jealous and starts to spiral into a host of bad decisions with the help of their friends, Gena and Katie, played by Caplan and Fisher. 

The plot was somewhat unique and kept my attention throughout. The theme had a bit of a Hangover vibe to it which lead to some pretty cringe worthy moments. Additionally, the script was not as funny as I hoped it would have been.

I did like that this was a strong female driven movie. There was a good amount of character development for the main cast. I felt like these roles were something different for Dunst and Wilson. They both did a great job in their portrayals. Dunst was a more cutthroat, brutally honest, controlling person whereas Wilson was her opposite, a more kind-hearted, self-sacrificing character that was a bit clueless to what was going on around her. I noticed in this movie that Isla Fisher has been typecast for a while now, she is this air-headed, slightly crazy character in every movie.

I came away from this film thinking that these girls are terrible friends to Becky and this definitely wasn’t a story about redemption. There was no growth or change, just bad choices which lead to an ending I wasn’t completely satisfied with, but in the end I guess it made the movie more realistic because that is life, in a way. You don’t always see the change you want to in people, they have to want to make those changes themselves and it can take time. I wasn't really a fan of this one, but for people who are into Hangover type movies, I would recommend giving this one a shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment