Thursday, May 16, 2019

The Spectacular Now


The Spectacular Now is a drama based on the 2008 novel of the same title by Tim Tharp. It is the story of Sutter, a hard partying high school senior who is living, what he thinks, is his best life, until he meets Aimee, a smart, driven, nice girl who tries to show him a different path. 

I found the plot to be interesting. It kept my attention for the most part. The tone of the film had an anxious, sadness to it. You were always on the edge of your seat, waiting for something bad to happen. It was, however, a bit dry and about an hour in I was checking to see how much longer I had to go. Some of the themes around alcoholism, finding your place in the world and growth were all well placed. I thought that Miles Teller and Shailene Woodley both did a great job as love interests. After seeing a few of Miles' and Shailene’s movies now, I feel like this is as far as their range goes, but it was fine for this film. I was surprised to also see Brie Larson in this film. I think that she wasn’t as impressive and since this film has really upped her game as an actress. As far as the rest of the cast, they were fairly one dimensional and could have used more diversity.

I had some issues with the believably of some of the scenes but overall the movie was fine. It’s not one that I would want to watch again but it wasn’t a complete waste of time. For those that are a fan of either of the main actors or this genera you probably enjoy this movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment