Monday, June 24, 2019

Extremely Wicked, Shockingly Evil and Vile


Extremely Wicked, Shockingly Evil and Vile is a historic drama that follows Ted Bundy's former girlfriend, Elizabeth "Liz" Kendall during the height of the Bundy murders and his subsequent trial. 

I thought that Zac Efron did a great job playing a conniving, charismatic serial killer. I thought that Lily Collins did well as Liz, I enjoyed the surprise additions of Jim Parsons and John Malkovich. Efron for me, however, stole the show. He showed some range that I've never seen from him before. His presence was the only thing that kept me locked into this movie.

In the editing, I liked how the director, Joe Berlinger, did some scenes, like Bundy’s jail interview or his behavior in court, almost shot for shot as to what it was in real life. He also wanted you to see the film from innocent eyes, from the perspective of Liz, someone who thought Bundy was innocent until the end. I understand the reasoning behind the choice of not actually showing the majority of the murders, but I feel that they missed something there with not properly depicting the heinous crimes of this particular individual.

In the end I wasn’t really satisfied with the direction of this film or the time taken to cover this moment in history. Efron fans will be able to stick with it but everyone else can skip this lackluster movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment