Tuesday, June 11, 2019

I Am Mother


I Am Mother is a Netflix produced science fiction thriller. Set in a post-apocolipic world, a child is born in an isolated bunker. She is called Daughter and is raised by a robot she calls Mother. When a stranger arrives with some disturbing news, Daughter starts to realize that not everything is as it seems. 

I wanted to see the movie because Hilary Swank is in it. She is a fantastic actor but the character she played was hard to connect to. There was a mystery to her at first but as the film went on I couldn’t really believe what was perceived as her end goal. I wish there was some further development with her character to really understand her more. Rose Byrne was the voice of the robot, Mother. I thought that it was a unique and interesting choice for her. The main actor, Clara Rugaard, who is lesser known, did a decent job carrying this movie. The interactions between her, the robot Mother and Hilary were good. I thought that they all did well with what they had; I just think it’s tough to bring a movie to life that has such few characters and not enough meat or depth in the scrip and character development.

Additionally, the plot was interesting but slow moving. The ending left me with a lot of unanswered questions. Some additional context would have been helpful in this film. I think that this is another movie full of great ideas that fell flat at the end. Because of that, I would suggest skipping this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment