Friday, July 2, 2021

The Tomorrow War

The Tomorrow War is an Amazon produced science fiction action drama starring Chris Pratt as a science teacher and family man who gets drafted to fight a war 30 years into the future. The fate of humanity will rely on him and his team’s ability to find a way to kill the alien threat that is eating its way through the entire human population.

The plot was played out but I was still intrigued so I pushed though. The script, in the beginning, made me a bit weary because it started out really corny. As the story progressed it got a bit better with the help of a couple of comedic bits but mostly it proved to be what I suspected it was going to be, a not well thought out and clichéd story full of predictability. Additionally, it didn’t always make sense and was filled with holes that the writer never filled up.

I did however enjoy the high quality action sequences and CGI but the audio editing was atrocious. The dialogue scenes were too low in volume and then the action sequences were way too high.

I also liked the diversity in terms of casting. Sam Richardson who played Charlie was smart, quirky and brought some of the best comedic puns. Edwin Hodge as Dorian was mysterious, determined and an impressive physical presence. I thought that Chris Pratt and The Handmaid's Tale, Yvonne Strahovski, had great chemistry and worked well off of one another. I liked seeing Yvonne in something completely different than The Handmaid's Tale. This was a much more physical role for her. She also didn't let Pratt's presence overpower her; she held her own as a leader and fighter.

Although it could not fully make up for the lack of detail in the script, I did think that the final twist was creative. So in the end, I’m glad that this movie went straight to video. It would not have been worth seeing in a theatre but watching it from home made it more tolerable.

No comments:

Post a Comment